This Policy has been adopted by Churches of Christ in order to comply with the requirements of the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act No 155 of 2000. The Policy should be read together with the National Privacy Principles (NPPs) set out in the Privacy Act.
1. Churches of Christ will comply with the NPPs. If there is an inconsistency between this policy and the NPPs, then the NPPs will prevail.
2. Subject to paragraph 3, Churches of Christ will only use personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected. Individuals will be informed of the purpose for which the information is being collected. These purposes will relate to the spiritual, pastoral, social educational and administrative functions of Churches of Christ to enable the provision of the services and activities included above.
3. Primarily the Churches of Christ and each of its centres collect personal information for the benefit of its members, residents, clients, consumers, donors and volunteers. Additionally the Churches of Christ has an important function of maintaining personal information for the purpose of analysing the role of the Churches of Christ and the Churches of Christ in society and recording family histories of its members. This information may be disclosed to scholars studying the church and to relatives of church members providing it is used in a general way so as not to highlight any specific person.
4. Churches of Christ will only use personal information about an individual for a secondary purpose if that individual has consented or the use is otherwise permitted by the NPPs.
5. Churches of Christ will take reasonable steps to keep personal information secure and will, subject to the NPPs, comply with a request from a person to access, correct or remove their information.
6. Churches of Christ will appoint a Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer will provide advice on the storage and security of information and the procedures to permit individuals to access and/or correct the personal information collected by Churches of Christ about them. The Privacy Officer will receive and deal with any complaint that that Churches of Christ has not complied with this policy or the NPPs.
7. Personal information collected by Churches of Christ may be sensitive information for the purpose of the NPPs (eg information about a person’s religious beliefs). As a non‑profit organisation, Churches of Christ is permitted to collect sensitive information without a person’s express consent. However, Churches of Christ will endeavour to seek consent from a person if sensitive information is sought for something other than the primary functions of Churches of Christ described in paragraph 2.
Churches of Christ’s operating procedures will comply with this Policy and the NPPs.
Please address any enquiries in relation to this policy to:
The Privacy Officer
Council of Churches of Christ in Australia
582 Heidelberg Road FAIRFIELD VIC 3078